Fwd: Re: Xorg configure failure with Radeon card

Dutch Ingraham stoa at gmx.us
Sat Nov 15 14:36:09 UTC 2014

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: Xorg configure failure with Radeon card
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 09:38:31 -0500
From: Dutch Ingraham <stoa at gmx.us>
To: Jan Kokemüller <jan.kokemueller at gmail.com>

On 11/15/14 06:43, Jan Kokemüller wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> [  2160.756] Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
>
> I think this is a known issue with the current Radeon driver. Try
> starting the X server without configuring it first. The handbook should
> probably be amended with instructions to avoid this bug.
>
> -Jan

Thanks, Jan.  I tried without an xorg.conf and an xorg.conf from another
install (with appropriate changes to the driver.)  Both returned errors
of "no screens found."

This is frustrating.  I went out and bought this card yesterday after
reviewing the radeon (4x) manpage and the current (updated 11-11-14)
wiki page on working with the graphical environment.  Both show the 5450
as supported and working.

I then researched the error reported above and noticed the cited thread,
which is almost nine months old, where the last entry is in fact what
you are reporting, i.e., that this is a known issue, and apparently has
been for some time.  (If this is something a non-C-programmer can fix,
I'd be glad to try.)

Am I missing something?