vt panic at startup, hd4650/hd6950

Matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Wed May 14 04:55:26 UTC 2014

I've been seeing odd behavior with vt. At first I suspected my video
hardware, hence the great delay.
I use slim to start X at boot. After a hard power off, or at random, my
computer will boot twice or more times, panicking and rebooting when X loads.
Trace is pretty quick, but I believe it's mostly supervisor read page not
present. I recently got a different radeon, hd6950, and it still behaves
similarly. Usually, the second boot is fine, but not always. Maybe
uninitialized memory or something like that? Conflict between xf86-video-ati
and vt? Does this sound familiar/known to anyone?

Matt