[HEADS UP] WITH_NEW_XORG is now the default on FreeBSD 10 and 9 stable

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Mon May 12 20:35:51 UTC 2014

Tom Evans wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Niclas Zeising
> <zeising+freebsd at daemonic.se> wrote:
>> On 05/12/14 18:18, Fbsd8 wrote:
>>> My host is running 10.0-RELEASE-p2 with jails. I would like to test new
>>> xorg with vt(9) in a jail. The above new release states that the new
>>> xorg will soon have a pkgng version.
>> For hardware access reasons, I believe it is not possible to run X in a
>> jail currently.
>
> This is true, although there is a patch to allow it:
>
> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/PATCH-Xorg-in-a-jail-td5892813.html
>
> (The patch from Alexander's email, not mine)
>
> Cheers
>
> Tom

I know about this patch. I gave it to the guy who maintains jail(8) to
be added as allow_xorg back in 9.1. After a year long review it was
rejected by the core security team as it completely breaks jail
security. xorg uses the kernel to communicate with the hosts console.

 From that news release, sounded like the new xorg uses a different
method to communicate with the hosts console. Is my understanding correct?

Now using vt(9) with the new xorg may be the answer to running xorg in a
jail. Is there any way to get vt installed on 10.0-RELEASE with out
going to current?