ATI Radeon 4330 with KMS: bad experience

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Mon May 5 08:09:31 UTC 2014

On 04.05.2014 18:08, David Demelier wrote:
> Hello guys,

Hello!

> However, for me (on 10.0-RELEASE-p1) it is not good news at all. First,
> there is no 3d accelerated, glx info says rendering is software rasterizer.

Did you follow instructions on the wiki about installing "KMS" ports?
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Installing_KMS_Ports

In particular, do you have "WITH_GALLIUM=yes" in your make.conf?

> I would like to know how can I fully disable KMS since my card does not
> require it and go back to standard UMS, because I don't want to go away
> from KDE :-).

I don't know what KDE requires exactly, but you could try to rebuild
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati after modifying the Makefile in there, to
force the 6.14.6 version (remove the ".if ${OSVERSION}..." line and
everything between ".else" and ".endif", including them). This will
restore an X.Org driver capable of UMS.

You may have to rebuild graphics/dri too, but I don't know in what way...

> I've tried setting hw.dri.0.modesetting=0 in the loader.conf but it
> seems read-only.

Yes, at least in the Radeon case.

> Kind regards (sorry to tell you that it was a bad experience :-()

Don't be sorry, your report is needed so that we fix things.

Thank you!

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron