Xorg 7.7 suddenly lost the keyboard

Jukka Ukkonen jau789 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:04:02 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-22 15:23, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2014, Jukka Ukkonen wrote:
>
>> So, AFAIK the culprit holding the kbdmux open is vt. I just did not
>> even think of having also updated the OS to the latest 10-stable
>> around the same time when I updated the ports kits.
>> I guess there is a risk that anyone that update their OS to the latest
>> 10-stable using vt instead of syscons as well as Xorg to the latest
>> 7.7 which depends on vt(9) could start seeing the same lost keyboard
>> problem when they launch X the next time.
>>
>> I cc this also to ray at freebsd.org (the author of the commit to vt
>> on June 16th) hoping for a confirmation for the issue.
>> Can you test using the latest 10-stable and the latest Xorg?
>>
>> --jau
>>

>> PS.
>> In fact I already have a patch which helps with releasing the kbdmux
>> device. A lot of the calls to kbd_allocate() and kbd_release() were
>> passing as the token the keyboard id while other calls to the same
>> functions were passing as the token a pointer to struct vt_device.
>> This does not mean, though, that X were yet aware of how to wrestle
>> the kbdmux device out of vt's grab and then able to open it from within
>> xf86-input-keyboard.
>
> I'm using 10-STABLE r267699 and vt on this machine, and the keyboard
> works.  It could be important that HAL is not installed, xorg.conf
> does not list input devices, and neither HAL nor DEVD were enabled
> when building the xorg-server port.

Right...
Next I have to ask whether you have started X from the command
line using startx or using a display manager via init and /etc/ttys?
There might be some difference there.

--jau

PS.
The patch to homogenize the use of token parameters when calling
kbd_allocate() and kbd_release() is now in bugzilla.