Fwd: Problem when building radeon X video driver on Freebsd-current

Vinicius Abrahao vinnix.bsd at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 15:55:11 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 1:20 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 21 Jun 2014, René Ladan wrote:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >>
> >> Forwarding this from a user of radeonhd
> >>
> >> René

Thank you, René,
After rebuilding xf86-video-ati , I changed the xorg.conf to use "Driver
ati".

Code long unsupported. Mostly non-working. Why hasn't it been deprecated by
> now? Messages on this have been popping up on this list for at least two
> years and it just keeps getting worse (more bit-rotted), but Radeon users
> don't learn this until things fail.
> --
> R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
> E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com

I am using Radeon HD 6500D, indeed I did not know for sure what driver to
use.
After all, even using ati driver I am having trouble with SDL at -current
(r267702),
$ sdl-config --version
1.2.15

This is the error:
SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) FAILED (No available video device)
SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) FAILED (No available video device)

All SDL applications that I try give me the same error, but glxgears and
glxinfo works.

$ glxinfo  | grep -i opengl
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD SUMO
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.1.7
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

Thanks in advance for any help!

[]s
vinnix

--