X with vt instead of sc - keyboard problem

Milan Obuch freebsd-x11 at dino.sk
Sun Jun 1 19:36:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

today I tried 'new' vt console for the first time on my workstation
with AMD C-60 CPU, in dmesg

CPU: AMD C-60 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (999.98-MHz 686-class CPU)

pciconf -lvb identifies vga as

vgapci0 at pci0:0:1:0: class=0x030000 card=0x853a1043 chip=0x98071002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
vendor   = 'Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI'
device   = 'Wrestler [Radeon HD 6290]'
class    = display
subclass = VGA
bar [10] = type Prefetchable Memory, range 32, base 0xc0000000, size 268435456, enabled
bar [14] = type I/O Port, range 32, base 0xf000, size 256, enabled
bar [18] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xfeb00000, size 262144, enabled

Everything seems to work well, just no response for key pressed, thus
no input from keyboard, but mouse works as expected. I can logout
from X with mouse (I use XFCE, so this is just three clicks or so).
There is no config file in /etc/X11, everything is autoconfigured.

If I ssh to this box and do a 'vidcontrol -s 1' switch from there, I
can work with text console, only minor issue is there is no cursor, but
it appears when I type anything and delete it with backspace. Then
Alt-Fn switches to other terminal as usual, but if I switch to terminal
where I started X originally from, keyboard works in raw mode, I can't
type commands, just keypress/keyrelease scancodes are displayed in octal
notation. At this point, I need 'vidcontrol -s 1' again from ssh
session to be able to do anything useful.

I did today a full buildworld/buildkernel, with old sc + vga kernel and
another kernel with new vt + vt_vga, so I can just switch kernel used
and try any hint. Maybe I just did something stupid and I should
recompile something to reflect new vt console being used, which I would
expect if display would not work as expected, but when the problem is
with keyboard, I am a bit surprised.

Regards,
Milan