Multiple video cards

Da Rock freebsd-x11 at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sun Jul 27 23:52:27 UTC 2014

On 07/28/14 09:17, Warren Block wrote:
> Test system:
>
> FreeBSD 10-STABLE amd64 r269160
> AMD A8-3850 APU (Radeon HD6550D)
> Radeon X1650 PCIe card
>
> Under IGX Configuration, the APU motherboard BIOS has a "Surround
> View" setting.  When enabled, the onboard HD6550 GPU remains enabled
> when an additional video card is connected.
>
> With the HD6550 disabled, the X1650 works fine.  pciconf shows only
> one video device.
>
> With the HD6550 enabled, both video devices show in pciconf, and X
> gives the "screens not found" error unless both are defined in
> xorg.conf.  X starts, but xrandr only shows the HD6550, and only the
> monitors attached to the motherboard video connectors work. xrandr
> only shows that cards.
>
> There may be more settings required in xorg.conf.  I think that
> Xinerama is obsolete, but don't know.
 From whatever I've read it is. xrandr is used rather than a formal
definition and the virtual screen size is updated as required. I use
this quite frequently for a presentation screen. Using xrandr you can
determine mode, placement, etc.

 From that specific problem... not sure. I believe only one card can be
used at a time unless defined in a certain way in the conf - but I think
you already know that. But then that requires ServerLayout options set
as well. It may even require using "screens". The linux guys have really
obfuscated it all I reckon :)

> Based on some Linux stuff:
> % xrandr --listproviders
> RandR 1.4 not supported
>
> Is there a right way to define multiple monitors on more than one card
> for the same virtual screen?
I'd also be interested to know if there is a way to define multiple
monitors on separate screens (screen0, screen1, etc as 0.0, 0.1, etc).