Xorg, Radeon and KMS problems

Da Rock freebsd-x11 at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Sun Jul 27 23:33:39 UTC 2014

On 07/28/14 05:17, Warren Block wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014, Da Rock wrote:
>
>>> Setting "AutoAddDevices" to "off" is probably sufficient. And you only
>>> need to rebuild xorg-server AFAIK.
>> I'll give the conf option a shot. Takes a little while on my system
>> to build, and its building some big stuff atm like thunderbird and
>> libreoffice, so next day is latest I'd get it going.
>
> It is not even necessary to rebuild xorg-server.  Just setting
> "AutoAddDevices" "Off" prevents it from using HAL.  Rebuilding it with
> the port options set to not use HAL removes that dependency. If you
> use xfce, HAL can be removed entirely.  KDE and Gnome still depend on
> it, even when xorg-server does not.
I see. Trying that now...

What about lxde? Seems to be the lightest, most user friendly; and I
have rather illiterate users here.

>>> Check if it is possible to disable one of the graphics chips in the
>>> BIOS.
>>> That could be a last resort fix. AFAIK Xorg doen not have proper
>>> support for
>>> using two graphics cards or switching beteen them.
>> Not that I'm aware of - HP take away a lot of fine tweaking options
>> in bios for some stupid reason, and I went looking last time I was
>> playing with the dual card setup and HD. I'll have another peek though.
>>
>> Who's looking at the support for multiple cards in Xorg then? Is
>> there a wiki/blog or such I can follow, help out with?
>
> It might work.  Fewer people use it now, since even low-end graphics
> cards have two or three outputs.  This is something I've been meaning
> to test, and I have one or two machines available for that.  I'll
> report back.
I have plenty - multiple outputs, multiple cards with multiple outputs,
multiple cards sharing multiple outputs. Give me a test, and I can run
it with the results you want returned.