Please test: use /dev/mem instead of /dev/console for memory-mapping framebuffers in X11 on PowerPC

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Jul 20 16:21:23 UTC 2014

I would appreciate any tests or comments on the following patch (which
is working fine on my hardware). The goal is to move X drivers from
using /dev/console to map device memory to using /dev/mem, as on x86
systems. This makes it so that the kernel framebuffer driver does not
have to allow mapping of all physical memory and can behave like an
actual framebuffer driver and along the way fixes some highly dubious
behaviors of the ppc_video module on FreeBSD. The patch to libpciaccess
may also result in some performance improvement.

http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/ppc-xorg-devmem.diff

Please let me know if there are any regressions or other issues.
-Nathan