What driver (and how) to use for Radeon HD 6950 these days

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jan 30 06:02:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:33:03 -0700
> Paul Schiro <tribblon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all... been an avid FreeBSD user since about 2.1.5... but its been
>
> as you started this, BSD since 1979. But only for a few hours.
>
>> To cut to the chase, I have a Radeon HD 6950 [ATI RV970].. after much
>
> Ask a search engine for WITH_NEW_XORG and WITH_GALLUIM in the make.conf

Supported cards and the procedure to install KMS drivers for both Radeon
and Intel graphics are shown on the wiki:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Tested_hardware_matrix
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Installing_KMS_Ports

> You also should check if this card is even supported. I use Intel at
> the moment and do not know much more.

The 6970 is shown as working.  That should be a dual-card version of the
6950, but nothing beats actual testing.  Paul, it will probably work,
but either way, please follow up so we can update the wiki.