xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Jan 24 22:40:00 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 03:20:08PM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
> So I tried issuing "xterm &" from an existing xterm, and saw:
>
> d130(9.2-S)[13] Maximum number of clients reachedxterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
> The machine is running:
>
> FreeBSD g1-251.catwhisker.org 9.2-STABLE FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #649  r260981M/260982:902506: Tue Jan 21 04:53:17 PST 2014     root at g1-251.catwhisker.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  i386

I'm still seeing this at:

FreeBSD g1-251.catwhisker.org 9.2-STABLE FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #652  r261114M/261118:902506: Fri Jan 24 04:51:03 PST 2014     root at g1-251.catwhisker.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY  i386

with xterm-301_1 (built yesterday).

It seems to be acting like some sort of resource leak: a few minutes
ago, I was unable to start xlock until I killed an xterm; now that
I've unlocked the machine, I can start one xterm, but not a second
(unless I kill one).

Total number of windows open at the moment is about 29.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Taliban: Evil cowards with guns afraid of truth from a 14-year old girl.