Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 06:01:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM, kraxadmin <kraxadmin at gmail.com> wrote:

>  only had 800*600 resolution when I installed xorg and openbox. I did some
> digging and I found out I have to active it. so I added this to my
> /etc/make.conf
>
>  WITH_NEW_XORG=true
>   WITH_KMS=true
>
> and update my base system and also portmaster -af to update all my
> packages. That update worked; **but now every time I am trying to do
> startxor X
> -configure , my monitor goes black and and its power light start blinking
> like it is on standby. further investigation showed this black screen
> happens whenever I do kldload i915kms. Now i am out of idea and options.

If you mean you are manually loading  i915kms, DON"T DO THAT! It will, as
you have seen, leave you with a dead screen. This is because syscons and
KMS simply don't play together. Head has vt which does. I hope it will be
MFCed to 10-STABLE soon, but without it, when the driver is loaded, your
vtys are all dead. If you switch to one, the keyboard will be fine and you
can enter commands, but no display is available.

The right way is to NOT load i915kms manually. When X starts (whither by
startx or a display manager (xdm, gdm, kdm, etc.), the module will load. X
will start normally. Of course, you can't switch back to  a vty and expect
a display, but you can switch back and nter enter commands as long as yo
can work without seeing the display.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com