Fixes for X on PowerPC

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Sun Jan 19 17:12:18 UTC 2014

I was just bootstrapping a new (to me) laptop and ran into some minor
difficulties getting X running. They can be fixed with the patch at
http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/new_xorg_ppc.diff

It has the following parts:
1. plist fix for graphics/libdrm (the Intel driver is only built on x86
platforms)
2. only apply MMX/SSE2 flags in configure on platforms that have MMX and
SSE2 for x11/pixman to avoid errors from configure
3. Use old ATI driver on platforms without KMS (for now, everything but x86)
4. Fix error in xorg-server makefile EXTRA_PATCHES where some
platform-specific patches would replace rather than add to the patches list.

The only even vaguely substantive change is the last patch:
5. xf86EnableIO() and xf86OpenConsole() no longer seem to be called in
the same order, with the result that xf86Info.consoleFd hasn't been set
yet when xf86EnableIO() is called. I've copied what Linux does here and
used /dev/mem instead, as well as copying Linux in making errors there
non-fatal. Incidentally, the xf86EnableIO() implementation is one of the
shadiest and most questionable things I have ever seen. I really doubt
it does whatever it is meant to do correctly, but it at least does the
same thing old Xorg did now.
-Nathan