CFT for cairo 1.12 and 8.x survey

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 7 17:12:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 15:04:46 +0100
Jean-Sébastien Pédron <dumbbell at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 07.01.2014 01:38, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > I'm using 8.4-STABLE on a box which has the on-board intel graphics
> > and uses the xorg-7.7 / xf86-video-intel-2.7.1_6 driver.  It seems to
> > work reasonably for a fluxbox desktop although I do see occasional
> > artifacts.  I never expect much from on-board video.
>
> Thanks for the test!
>
> Could you please post a screenshot of the artifacts you get?
>
> --
> Jean-Sébastien Pédron

The only artifact which is constant is a slight smearing to the right
which can be faintly seen at http://anonpic.be/i/Mk7sP.png .

The other artifacts are intermittent and when using firefox-26.0,1.
They are difficult to reproduce and capture.

The first one of these is a random blackout of a few lines of text
but any action that causes xorg to redraw/refresh corrects them.  The
other odd thing is that sometimes when returning to a previous page
using the browser back button is that text will appear to be bolder.
This too will correct itself during a refreshing of the display.
This could very well be a resource/memory limitation of this machine
or a function of firefox being a memory-pig.

The machine is a Gateway(R) box:
  https://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/GTModels/5648/5648nv.shtml
It only has 1G of memory with all ports up-to-date as of 1-05-2014.
While its not perfect, its quiet and performs well enough for its
low cost ($0.00).  I'm sure more memory and a better/real video card
would improve its performance.

Randy