ATI graphics card on FreeBSD10: Xorg -configure fails (No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol)

Gereon Kaiping kta1c10!gereon at linta.de
Thu Feb 20 22:07:54 UTC 2014

Hello,

I recently got someone's spare ATI X1950XTX graphics card for free,
and considered to have it replace my nvidia Quadro. Not knowing much
about hardware and 3D acceleration and stuff, I searched the internet
for a bit and found out that the ATI Radeon KMS drivers are supposed
to be in FreeBSD 10, and took that as good news to indeed try it out.

Unfortunately, that was not very successful. While it did not break
everything (The system does still boot) I don't get X configured with
this new configuration, because `X -configure` fails with a segfault
(see below).

This is still the case also after rebuilding the base system and all
my packages from source while having
WITH_NEW_XORG=yes
WITH_KMS=yes
in my /etc/make.conf.
Is there a likely way to debug this problem (Changing some other
options and rebuilding some software? configuring X by
hand/xorgcfg/xorgconfig/stuff like that?) and get this to work, or am
I better off putting my nvidia card back in and foregoing hardware 3d
acceleration?

-- Gereon Kaiping

==X -configure output==

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD parhippus 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD
11.0-CURRENT #0 r261797: Wed Feb 19 01:41:55 GMT 2014
gereon at parhippus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PARHIPPUS amd64
Build Date: 20 February 2014  01:20:20PM

Current version of pixman: 0.32.4
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Feb 20 22:01:23 2014
List of video drivers:
        ati
        radeon
        intel
        r128
        openchrome
        mach64
        nv
        vesa
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(II) [KMS] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol, no kernel modesetting.
Segmentation fault at address 0x0

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Abort trap (core dumped)