KMS on Radeon HD 3870

Hannes h2+lists2014 at fsfe.org
Sat Feb 15 12:08:08 UTC 2014

On 11.02.2014 20:59, Jean-Sébastien Pédron wrote:
> Le 10/02/2014 14:37, Hannes a écrit :
>> I have tried with 10.0-RELEASE again, and the problem persists.
>> Sometimes a session runs for 8hours without issues, sometimes is reboots
>> after 2min.
>
> When the reboot happens, do you happen to use a lot of system memory?
> Currently, our Radeon driver behaves badly when the memory is under
> heavy pressure.

Not really... when it occurred, system was idle... 8GiB Ram...

>> Other issues I am seeing is spontaneous lockups of X. It looks like a
>> hang, but than after 10-30s there is a flicker and regular operation is
>> resumed (happened only twice up till now).
>
> It could be the same problem than with reboots, but in this case, the
> driver could recover.

Ok.

>> Another weird thing I noticed, is that video doesn't work right. No
>> matter whether I pick XV or GL, with the new drivers video is stuttery
>> at best. This happens on mplayer, vlc and xine.
>
> Could you please try to run Ubuntu 13.04 live CD and check how it
> behaves on it? It has the same Radeon driver as us.

Video works now. I don't know why, but it does. No software upgrades..

>> Unfortunately I do not have SWAP on this machine, as I have only a small
>> SSD, but lots of RAM. There is no way to get a crash dump then, is there?
>
> You could setup a USB pen as a swap device.

I actually did that, but since then I have had no reboots and no hangs.

I will keep the stick attached, but since the system is working since a
week, Video works a.s.o. I think we can change the field in the wiki to
WORKING for HD3870.

Thanks for your efforts! Should I have news on my card I will report them!

Best,
Hannes