Xorg -configure ... Segmentation fault at address 0x0

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Tue Dec 16 23:13:21 UTC 2014

On 12/16/14 16:42, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message <CAN6yY1toL=k=uoWodDcwXC2hzW0crH_U6zed-QTPXPybw+bUGg at mail.gmail.com>
> Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To ask a really dumb question, why are you doing "Xorg -configure"?
> Because when I tried just running "startx" (as per the instructions
> in the current FreeBSD handbook) I got this error and X did not start:
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
>
> However I believe that I just now may have figured out what the problem
> is here.
>
> The system in question contains an AMD A4-6300 APU.  This is not exactly
> a newly released APU.  Amazon lists it as having been available since
> May 20, 2014.  So the thing has been out for around 7 months or more.
>
> However the integrated GPU is apparently a Radeon HD 8370D.
>
> Looking now on this page:
>
>      https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
>
> it appears that perhaps Radeon HD 8xxx is not yet supported by X on
> FreeBSD.  I guess that is the problem, yes?
>
> I am bummed, to say the least.
>
> I guess that I will have to break out the old Radeon HD 5450 card that
> I have sitting and collecting dust in the closet, jam that into the
> ASUS A78M-A motherboard, and then see if I can entice the BIOS into
> using that in preference to the integrated GPU in the AMD A4-6300 APU.
>
> Sigh.  I don't know how to do this, but I guess that I will find out.
>
> Any suggestions on how to accomplish this will be appreciated.
> (Obviously, it isn't just the BIOS but also FreeBSD+X that have to
> be convinced to ignore the in-built GPU on the APU in preference to
> a slower GPU on an add-in card.)

You could run the vesa server until your gfx becomes supported (as I
am). I have the same issue, an AMD jaguar CPU, w/ integrated gfx (Kabini
[Radeon HD 8280 / R3 Series]), which I knew to be unsupported when I
bought in last April 9, the day it was released to the public :-). I
plan on using this box for years, so I am patiently waiting for xorg to
catch up to this APU, whereupon I should be happy for years to come ....
$0.02, no more, no less ....

 From my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
         ### Available Driver options are:-
         ### [arg]: arg optional
         #Option     "ShadowFB"                  # [<bool>]
         #Option     "DefaultRefresh"            # [<bool>]
         #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen"        # [<bool>]
         Identifier  "Card0"
         Driver      "vesa"
         VendorName  "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]"
         BoardName   "Kabini [Radeon HD 8280 / R3 Series]"
         BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

I added the vesa line, the rest was already there ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III