Xorg -configure ... Segmentation fault at address 0x0

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Tue Dec 16 22:00:43 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-16, "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to bring up a new wokrstation.  I've just successfully
> installed 10.1-RELEASE and I'm now just trying to get X properly
> configured.  So far it isn't going at all well.

What exactly are you trying to configure?  For years now, X.org's
intend has been that *no* configuration should be necessary for the
majority of setups.

The old approach of using "X -configure" to create a basic xorg.conf
which is then tweaked is as obsolete as modeline calculators.

> I found this page which says, at the very bottom, that this is a
> known problem:

Yes, "X -configure" is broken, unnecessary, and may never get fixed.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de