Putting my new FreeBSD 9.3 desktop online ....

flo at snakeoilproductions.net flo at snakeoilproductions.net
Sun Aug 17 09:17:25 UTC 2014

Greetings,

On 2014-08-15 17:53, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>    Xdm uses .xinitrc to start a "something" right? Please show your
>    .xinitrc
>    I guess you're trying to use xfce, have you verified that all
> required
>    packages are installed ( xfce, xorg-server, xf86-video*,
> xf86-input*?
>    What graphics hw are you using? Which xorg-stack ( new /old)?
>    Are you using a xorg.conf or using default on-the-fly-config?
>    Best regards
>    Andreas
>
>    OK, here goes, see attached. Whenever I startx from the command line
>    after a console login, XFCE starts up & operates AOK, so I would
> guess
>    the install is OK. Gfx hw is a jaguar kabini CPU, w/ GPU on die w/
> CPU.
>    gfx is too new for X.org support, so I am using the vesa driver.
>    .xinitrc:  exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4

Maybe I'm missing the point here entirely, but xdm uses $HOME/.xsession.
A missing .xsession has quite the same symptoms, and since XFCE works
fine after startx,
which indeed uses $HOME/.xinitrc, you might try
% echo 'exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4' >$HOME/.xsession
and then restart xdm.

Sincerely,

florian