Instant reboot with New Xorg

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 3 16:27:29 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 08:31:57AM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 06:15:06AM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 07:41:28PM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > >
> > > laptop-kargl.apl.washington.edu dumped core - see /var/crash/vmcore.1
> > >
> > > Sat Aug  2 19:22:11 PDT 2014
> > >
> > > FreeBSD laptop-kargl.apl.washington.edu 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r269385: Fri Aug  1 10:39:21 PDT 2014     root at laptop-kargl.apl.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MOBILE  i386
> > >
> > > panic: make_dev_credv: bad si_name (error=17, si_name=dri/card0)
> >
> > Errno 17 is EEXISTS, since it comes from the devfs node instantiation,
> > I am almost sure that you have both drm and drm2 in your kernel. Most
> > likely, drm is compiled in or loaded as module at boot time, while drm2
> > is loaded by X server on initialization.
>
> I've discovered that it is not possible to build a kernel
> with drm2 and i915kms.  At least the somewhat obvious guess
> of adding "device drm2" and "device i915kms" to my config
> file yields
>
> % make buildkernel
> config: Error: device "drm2" is unknown
> config: Error: device "i915kms" is unknown
> config: 2 errors
> *** Error code 1

The config(8) program that is used to build system configuration files looks
at /sys/conf/files* to see what options and devices exist.

Looking at /sys/conf/files*, drm2 and i915kms are not in there, so my
conclusion would be that they can only be built as modules.

Remove the old drm and i915drm from your kernel config and rebuild your kernel
(or use GENERIC if you can). Then log in normally and run `startx`. Xorg will
load the necessary modules. After starting x you can run `kldstat` from a
terminal to see which modules have actually been loaded for your setup.

If you want to use vt(4), use /boot/loader.conf to pre-load the X modules on
the next boot. You can then set `kern.vty=vt` in /boot/loader.conf to make the
system use vt(4) on the next boot. This only works if `device vt` is in your
kernel config. Since vt is used in 10-STABLE, I'm assuming it is also in the
GENERIC kernel for 11-CURRENT.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)