Mysterious crash/freeze in X11 with newcons

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Mon Apr 28 14:32:49 UTC 2014

On 24.04.2014 15:23, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I use HDMI connector as opposed to VGA. New motherboard has only
> HDMI and DisplayPort connectors for integrated graphics.

Then you can ignore those messages about VGA-1.

> I wonder if FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE would be any stabler than 11-current with the new Xorg,

I don't think there's much difference between stable/10 and HEAD when
speaking about the video drivers.

If the kernel is really crashing, could you please set the following
sysctl in /etc/sysctl.conf?
debug.debugger_on_panic=0

It should help get a core dump.

> I still have to be careful what I type, since Ctrl-Fn (n=1,2,3 or 4)
> in Xfce or Ctrl-Alt-n (n=1,2,3 or 4) in IceWM changes virtual
> desktops, and it is easy to type Ctrl-Alt-Fn (n=1,2,3 or 4) by
> mistake and trash my X session unless I am using newcons with
> FreeBSD.

If you type Ctrl+Alt+Fn when using syscons, it doesn't trash your X
session: you can type Ctrl+Alt+Fn again (F9 by default) to switch back
to X. syscons is unable to display anything when a KMS driver is loaded,
but it still responds to key strokes.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron