Update on Radeon HD 3870 & Nvidia GTX 750ti

Hannes Hauswedell h2+lists2014 at fsfe.org
Sun Apr 6 18:38:13 UTC 2014

Hi again,

I have to admit that contrary to my previous statements I did have
continuous issues with my Radeon HD3870. This are the reported ones
(frequent fullscreen video issues, infrequent crashes of the x-server
and/or kernel panics).

Due to a) needing a reliable system and b) being fed up with booting
ArchLinux for the ocasional game, I decided to buy nVidia. I am not
really proad of this as Software Freedom is important to me, but under
the current situation is was the only way to go.

Thus I would like to report for the hardware matrix that a) AMD HD3870
does not work right; b) NVIDIA GTX 750ti works flawlessly with the
proprietary driver from Nvidia (port is still too old).

I hope to have more time later this year, and if anyone is willing to
port the nouveau driver to FreeBSD I am more than willing to help
wherever I can.

Best Regards,
Hannes