pkg2ng # pkg install gnome2

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 05:45:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM, Pedro Carvalho <pcarvalho5150 at gmail.com>wrote:

> also why does
> # make install clean
> find the components necessary to assembly gnome2 in the ports
> and
> # pkg install gnome2
> does not? is it that the binary package hasn't been compiled for freebsd
> 10?
> if so if programming skills are not necessary i'l do it!
>

> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM, Pedro Carvalho <pcarvalho5150 at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > i know i'l probably get my ears pulled over tcp-ip...
> >
> > This is about gnome2
> >
> > i've googled a lot and saw a few posts on freebsd from some sources.
> > FreeBSD 10 has no pkg_add. Now its # pkg install gnome2
> > which does not work:
> >
> > [root at pedro /usr/ports/x11/gnome2]# pkg install gnome2
> > Updating repository catalogue
> > pkg: No packages matching 'gnome2' available in the repositories
> >

> > or # make install clean
> >
> > which is a freacking tedious process. I've been clicking OK over a period
> > of 24H with sleep and its still not installed.
> >
> > Question: How can i install at once with this new pkg2ng?
> >
> > additional verbose as -v -r did nothing.
> >

> > If you can help il send you the amount of a beer over paypal. Not fuxxing
> > joking...

You need to understand the difference between ports and packages. When you
'make instal clean', you are fetching the source distribution and building
it. When you install a pkg ("pkg_add" or "pkg install" you are fetching a
fully compiled binary built for a specific version of FreeBSD and
installing it. The format of a package installed by pkg_add is very
different from ones for with "pkg install".

I am not certain why the repositories are not being found, but it may be
that the pkg.conf file is out of date.

Here are the instructions posted for moving from the old to the new package
system:

To use binary packages:

1. Ensure your pkg(8) is up-to-date. 'pkg -v' should say at least
   1.2.7. If it does not, first upgrade from ports.
2. Remove any repository-specific configuration from
   /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf, such as PACKAGESITE, MIRROR_TYPE, PUBKEY.
   If this leaves your pkg.conf empty, just remove it.
3. mkdir -p /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos
4. Create the file /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf with:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  enabled: "yes"
}

I think the information on defining the FreeBSD repository may be old and
it may be used by default if no other repository is defined, but I'm not
sure. I am sure that old information in pkg.conf will break things, though.

And if this resolves your problem (which it might not), I am a non-drinker.
Make a donation to your local Red Cross or Red Crescent, or, better yet, to
"The Trampled Rose <http://www.trampledrose.org>".
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com