[HEADS UP] Fwd: svn commit: r328711 - in head: . Mk astro/viking cad/pdnmesh cad/repsnapper deskutils/pinot devel/xorg-macros emulators/catapult emulators/qemu-devel emulators/tme games/klavaro games/sea-defender ...

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 15:01:50 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 1:35 AM, Niclas Zeising <zeising at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 10/01/13 00:16, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
> > On 09/29/13 19:17, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> >> HEADS UP!
> >>
> >> I just committed an update to the MESA graphics stack (libGL, dri) and
> >> various other xorg ports.  This mostly relates to people running with
> >> WITH_NEW_XORG=, but be sure to check UPDATING before updating.
> >> If you have any qeustions, don't hesitate to contact me or send a mail
> >> to the freebsd-x11 at FreeBSD.org mailing list.
> >> Regards!
> >>

> > Great work!
> >
> > However, I think a little more info would be welcome by a lot of people.
> >
> > E.g.
> > In my case I have a Radeon card on 9.1... so:
> > _ I don't have KMS, right?
>
> No, you don't.  You have to update to the latest 10-CURRENT for that.
>
> > _ up to now WITH_NEW_XORG has prevented 3D hardware acceleration from
> > working; is it still so with this update?
>
> I think so.  Your best bet is to update to CURRENT.  10.0 isn't that far
> off, and we are in a code freeze, so 10 is reasonably stable.
>
> > _ any caveat?
>
> None known, just read UPDATING.
> Regards!

Not to be contrary, but I think this is an exceptionally bad time to switch
to current if you want stability. Maybe in another week, but not quite yet.
When code freeze is upon us, there are LOTS of commits of WIP, and things
tend to break rather badly for a few days. These issues are normally fixed
fairly quickly, but it takes a little time and, from the issues raised in
mail to current@, things are still a bit rough.

I really don't want to discourage the use of 10.0 as more use is far better
for a solid release, but running current can be a bit more risky, and
running it right after freeze is especially so. (So is running it right
after current is re-opened after release.) I'd recommend waiting until
around 10/10. (I like this date as it is the same whether your locality
puts month or day first). By then current should be pretty stable.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com