Support for ATI RV730 PCI adaptor

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Mon May 27 21:28:38 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-27 23:06, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I'm looking for information on support of the RV730 (PCI) card with the
> recent X.org mega-update. I don't think this card even uses KMS, but I
> might be wrong. Can anyone provide information one whether it will work
> with the Radeon driver either in default configuration or WITH_NEW_XORG? I
> just want to make sure that it can work after upgrading and, maybe let me
> build it correctly the first time.

Hi!
I have a hard time keeping track of all the different RVxxx, what is the
product name of the graphics card?
Up to 4000HD series should work with the new xorg (WITH_NEW_XORG), but
not all work with 3D acceleration, they use the software rasteriser
instead.  I have successfully run the xorg update on my desktop with a
HD4850 untill today, when the cooling fan on the graphics card stopped
cooling.  The driver i use is the regula xf86-video-ati, not the
radeonhd driver.
The old configuration should still work, since neither mesa (libGL etc),
libdri, libdrm nor xorg-server was particularly updated, only client
libraries and drivers were.
Remember to recompile all drivers and everything at the same time, to
have drivers and server match.
Regards!
--
Niclas