solved, kinda (Re: Can't start Xorg after upgrade -- radeon R200)

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Tue May 14 20:40:47 UTC 2013

14.05.2013 15:41, Mikhail T. написав(ла):

> I upgraded this older machine from 8.3 to 9.1 over the weekend.
> Everything continued to function smoothly after the OS/kernel update,
> but then I rebuilt all of the ports and rebooted...
>
> Xorg would no longer start:
>
>     AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0

Rebuilding x11/xorg-server with cc (rather than gcc47 as all the other
ports were built) solves the problem.

I'm puzzled, why it matters, but I can reliably break and restore Xorg
start-up by switching between the cc- and gcc47-built versions of the
binaries. No other changes. All of the drivers (mouse, keyboard, ati)
remain compiled by gcc47.

    -mi