ports/178478: xorg-server-1.7.7_6,1 from FreeBSD ports SVN head mangles display

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat May 11 08:00:02 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR ports/178478; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org, freebsd-ports-bugs at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: ports/178478: xorg-server-1.7.7_6,1 from FreeBSD ports SVN head
 mangles display
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 09:54:46 +0200

 Re/ the question of Niclas: Yes, I have used memtest(8) and swapped the
 complete RAM chips of 1GB.

 Yesterday I watched carefully what the system was doing. I launched
 memory intensive jobs (some 'make', firefox with flash and chrome with
 flash too), and saw with top(1) that the Free mem was going down to some
 30 MBytes, short before the display mangel occurred. The EeePC was
 running (for years already) w/o any swap device. As I wild guess I added
 in /etc/rc.local the creation of some 1 GByte swap device with:

 #!/bin/sh
 echo creating swapfile of 1 GB
 /bin/rm -f /swapfile.tmp
 dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile.tmp bs=1m seek=1k count=0
 /sbin/mdconfig -a -t vnode -u 1 -f /swapfile.tmp || /bin/sh
 /bin/rm -f /swapfile.tmp
 /sbin/swapctl -a /dev/md1

 Since this there are no more problems, so far. I have no certain
 indicator in log files about insufficient memory 9or so like, but it
 seems to have been the lack of swap.

 We can close the issue. Thanks

 	matthias