Status of ATI video acceleration support?

Adam K Kirchhoff akirchhoff135014 at comcast.net
Tue May 7 12:16:22 UTC 2013

On 05/07/2013 06:00 AM, Sergey Jamy wrote:
> 2013/5/7 archibald <archibald at ethernull.org>
>
>> Radeon X.org means that radeon driver that works with X.org. Essentially
>> the radeon driver no longer supports UMS (user modesetting), and only
>> supports KMS. Consequently, to use up to date versions of the radeon
>> driver, FreeBSD must have kernel modesetting for AMD cards. AMD has no
>> official support for FreeBSD.
>>
> Fix: X.Org working on driver pimitives. So why can cheat new X.Org, as we
> cheat linux apps throw linux emulation layer.
>

>> Nothing is preventing the FreeBSD project from writing their own radeon
>> driver, but given the amount of code that would need to be written (and the
>> lack of developers working on FreeBSD compared to Linux), it's much easier
>> to port the Linux code than write it all from scratch.
>>
> Why from scratch? Let's do fork of ums code (and forexamle call him ums-ng)
> and piecemeal upgrade him to functionality of kms. I am sure that there
> will be supporters of my ideas. People must have choice ums vs kms like as
> linux vs freebsd!

I think you may be greatly underestimating the amount of work required
to add the same functionality to the UMS driver that is currently
available in the KMS driver.  The entire reason UMS was dropped upstream
is because the developers felt that they couldn't add the functionality
they wanted to the UMS driver in the first place.

Adam