Status of ATI video acceleration support?

Jean-Sébastien Pédron jean-sebastien.pedron at dumbbell.fr
Tue May 7 09:08:36 UTC 2013

On 07.05.2013 10:34, Sergey Jamy wrote:
>>> With the help of Konstantin Belousov, J.R. Oldroyd and several testers,
>>> I'm working on the port of the kernel-side driver from Linux to FreeBSD.
>
> Why are you clonning linux? Why we can't leave most code in user space? For
> what me kernel panic from the error in yours "kms"? What license of code
> which you porting from linux? Whether there can be conflicts of licenses?

The drivers are released under the MIT license, therefore, there's no
conflict.

> Maybe we can make daemon which will in-between layer from driver to xorg,
> but he will be work in USER SPACE?  I think there is no need to hurry up so,
> we now have a working graphical environment, if there is a wish to 3d
> acceleration - so go to the linux or windows.

Yes, there's a need to hurry up: for instance, the Radeon X.Org driver
dropped support for non-KMS mode in last August. It means newer cards
are barely supported, more likely not supported at all. And we don't
talk about 3D acceleration only here: this includes modern features such
as GPGPU (which targets high-end needs too, not only desktops) but also
simply detecting the correct resolution of the plugged-in monitor.
Without this, users would be stuck with the VESA driver.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron