Status of ATI video acceleration support?

Jean-Sébastien Pédron dumbbell at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 7 08:53:40 UTC 2013

On 07.05.2013 09:40, archibald wrote:
>> Huh?  That is a rather preplexing statement.  If you need a version of
>> Mesa
>> that will not be available until the end of the year, then how are the
>> Linux folks able to offer Redeon UVD video decode support _now_, rather
>> than after the versions of Mesa you speak of is released?  How are the
>> Linux people offering support even without that newer version of Mesa?
>>
>> (I'm not complaining.  I am just confused and seeking enlightenment.)
>
> The linux folks need to use code from git in order to get UVD support,
> it's not out of the box for anybody using open source software (and
> won't be for several months).

Exactly.

I understand that Mesa already supports GPU-based video decoding for
several months and it's available in the 9.x branch (maybe earlier, I
never checked).

But to use the UVD dedicated chip, AMD released the code last month.

--
Jean-Sébastien Pédron