New AMD drm code

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Mon Mar 11 04:19:15 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 20:39:46 -0400 Adam K Kirchhoff <adam.k.kirchhoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is some secret to getting the new radeon drm code up and running.  I realize it's currently very experimental, but I have a number of machines and cards I can test with.
>
> I've tried using both a standard -CURRENT kernel and one built from here:
>
> https://github.com/dumbbell/freebsd
>
> However, in both cases, the radeon kernel module does not attach to my HD6950 when I load it.  In fact, a quick look at ways/dev/drm2/drm_pciids.h doesn't seem to show any newer Radeon HD gpus.
>
> I have the feeling I'm missing something obvious..
>
> Thanks.
>
> Adam

Jean-Sébastien has the code working on -current, and I just about
have it working on 9.1-release.

For both, you'll need the sys/dev/drm2 code from his git (at the
URL you gave above), not the code in head.

For 9.x, you'll also need a handful of changes to sys/vm and
sys/dev/iicbus and probably another bugfix or two that we haven't
worked out yet.  I can send this as a diff to anyone who's
interested.

Your Cayman PRO is there in the drm_pciids.h file (line 491), so
it is supported in the original Linux code.  There's a lot of code
specific to the cayman cards, however not all of it may have been
ported yet.  If you see lots of "#ifdef DUMBBELL_WIP"s in the
cayman code, that means work is still to be done.

You could post your dmesg to show what's happening when you load
the module.

Note that if the module loads ok, syscons goes blank because there
is no support in it for KMS yet.  You'll need to ssh in to start
an X server or run a script to both load the module and start X.

You will also need to patch the port graphics/libdrm to make it
enable KMS.  This isn't just a question of enabling the KMS
compilation option.  You'll need to edit xf86drmMode.c to have
it return true for the FreeBSD case.  Also note that this will
then cause your old UMS driver to fail if you go back to it.
You'll need to revert libdrm to the non KMS version to go back
to the old UMS setup.

	-jr