[HEADS UP] switch default xorg version in 9.1 and later

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 20 19:49:17 UTC 2013

On 06/20/13 19:12, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:00:57PM +0200, Niclas Zeising wrote:
>> Hi!
>> It is time to switch the default version of xorg on FreeBSD 9.1 and
>> later, including CURRENT.
>> In general this means better support for modern hardware, especially
>> intel hardware, at the cost of support for some legacy hardware.
>> The old version will still be around, and be the default for FreeBSD
>> releases prior to 9.1, it is also possible to get the old version by
>> setting WITHOUT_NEW_XORG= in /etc/make.conf.
>> The attached patch will make the switch, and I intend to commit it ASAP
>> unless something major shows up.  The patch is also available at
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~zeising/xorg-switch.diff
>
> Could you please make setting WITH_NEW_XORG additionally a function
> of the architecture and not enable it for sparc64? The update to
> Xorg 7.7 already broke support for ATI graphics with the _old_ Xorg
> server there for reasons still unknown. Last time I gave WITH_NEW_XORG
> a try I fixed all build errors on !x86 as good as I could but it blew
> X on sparc64 totally out of the water, including causing bizarre crashes
> of the X server even when using an UPA- rather than a PCI-based graphics
> card. Generally, support for Intel hardware isn't relevant on sparc64
> and sooner or later everything AMD/ATI that is not Radeon likely will
> be declared "legacy".

Done.
Unfortunately I lack hardware to test xorg on anything other than
i386/amd64.  In all honesty I also don't know how much effort upstream
puts into making this work on sparc64.  If you have time it would be
great if you could spend some cycles testing on sparc64 from time to time...
With regards to the ATI issues on sparc64, do you have an error dump or
anything?  Can you try reverting the updates to libpciaccess and go back
to the old version, especially in the light of our discussion about
bus_space() and in*/out* and stuff on arch at .
Also, I can't promise that we will keep the legacy xorg around forever,
it is getting increasingly hard to maintain, and there are updates to
other parts of the tree (most notably cairo) that are held off because
of issues with our old X.  This is however a discussion for another day,
and there will be a heads up well in advance if we decide to go this route.
Regards!
--
Niclas Zeising