[HEADS UP] switch default xorg version in 9.1 and later

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 19 15:22:07 UTC 2013

> Anyway, my concern was some complications in running the newer Xorg with Intel graphics.
>
> There was the danger that it might not be possible to go to text console after going into X, so I have questions on how to stay with the graphical interface and not go back to text console.  If this belongs on another thread, feel free to change the subject to "Xorg acrobatics".

As far as I know, it is still not possible to VT switch after X has been
started, this is a known shortcoming in the KMS driver.  However, on
start X will load all needed kernel modules, so until you start X you
will have a working console.

> My question is how to go into X in such a way that there can be multiple users simultaneously logged in, root and nonroot, and all users have access to graphic applications (Mozilla Seamonkey for instance).  I also want to be able to switch to or restart with a different window manager without going to a text console in between; this might require closing all applications and logging out.  I don't really want to use gdm, kdm or xdm if I can help it.  I don't think xdm would work anyway.

I think the best way to achieve this is with some sort of desktop- or
session-manager.  I don't know if it is possible at all without it, I
haven't tried.  In general though, you shouldn't run X as the root user,
and if all you need is a root shell, it is possible to start a terminal
emulator (such as xterm) and use su or sudo.

> My previous attempt with the new Xorg and KMS produced a completely nonrunnable X, immediately crashed, requiring Reset button, and I had a dilly of a time going back to the older Xorg.  I might this time have an alternate xorg.conf with Driver="vesa" for fallback so as to retain access to Xorg if the new Xorg bombs out with Intel driver: haven't tested this but hope it would work.

Have you reported these issues somewhere earlier?  Otherwise we need
much more info in debugging this.

Remember also that it is still possible to get the old xorg distribution
if needed.
Regards!
--
Niclas Zeising