Help debugging xfig lockup?

Pierre DAVID pdagog at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 06:02:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:16:24PM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:

> The graphics/xfig port is an application I've used since ... well,
> before FreeBSD (per se) existed.  (I was using it on a Sun 3/60 back
> then....)

Same thing here ;-)

> A few days ago, I happened to want to use it .... and I find that it
> starts OK, but once a Drawing mode or an Editing action is selected, it
> locks up -- no other selection appears to have an effect, and causing
> the application to exit requires some "external assistance" (e.g., from
> another xterm, "pkill xfig").

Same thing here.

I once opened a PR for this problem, but I don't find it anymore.

It seems to occur only with KDE (or may be other environments, I haven't
try): with the good old xinit/twm (do you remember? ;-), xfig works
like a charm.

The problem is very old, i.e. predate the WITH_NEW_XORG=yes, and occurred
on vanilla -release as well as -current.

The only workaround I found was to recompile without XAW_3D, which
involves some configured (I)Makefile modification.

Pierre