Intel HD4000 status

isdtor isdtor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 07:52:13 UTC 2013

I was wondering what the status of Intel HD4000 support is as I simply
cannot get it to work.

The system is running a fresh install of FreeBSD 9.1 release amd64
with ports svn head. I rebuilt the xorg server with

WITH_NEW_XORG="YES"
WITH_KMS="YES"

in make.conf. After a reboot, once gdm starts, I see the busy cursor
flashing up a few times and then there's a black screen. No switching
to a text console (which I believe has not been implemented yet) is
possible and I can only login via ssh.

The X logs don't show any errors. There are 7 Xorg log files of
identical size listing two warnings

[    28.642] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support
[    28.774] (WW) Option "Device" requires an string value

and ending with

[    28.778] (II) PS/2 Mouse: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 4, hw.model is 0
[    28.778] (II) PS/2 Mouse: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
[    28.820] (II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
[    28.820] (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
[    28.823] Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

/var/log/messages has these entries:

6x "gdm-binary[1589]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.222588 seconds" and
gdm-binary[1589]: WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X
display failures reached: check X server log for errors

This is a laptop with dual gfx, but the discrete card disabled in the BIOS.

I've tried this without xorg.conf, and also with two .conf files in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d that represent the ServerFlags and Device section
shown here, http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?s=2739717f480dde7e26ce4494379517d5&p=196587&postcount=10
. I could probably switch to discrete graphics, but would prefer to
get the integrated graphics working first.