Xorg help

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Thu Jan 31 13:54:27 UTC 2013

(first, apologies for the top-post; using a dumb web-mail client that can't handle inline)

Hi,

We use LG Flatron at $work (tho not wide-aspect like the model you mention -- read: we run our LG Flatron LCDs at 1600x1200). I've had a little experience in working on higher definitions tho (like 1920x1080).

Very first thing I do is I run "xrandr" with no arguments to see if the mode that I want is listed and available, just not used.

If the resolution you want is listed in the xrandr output, then switching to it is as simple as running "xrandr --size WxH" where W is pixel-width and H is pixel-height (e.g. "xrandr --size 1920x1080"). After which, you can make this mode your default by adding the following to  the appropriate "Display" subsection in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Modes "1920x1080"

However, if instead the desired mode is _not_ listed by xrandr, it could be as simple as switching cables (if you're trying to hit 1920x1080 for example, avoid [S]VGA and try DVI or HDMI or DP; switching cables could help).

Next, there's a possibility you're not using a driver that supports your graphics card. What I do in that situation is run (as root):

X -configure :99

Then I go look at the Driver settings in /root/xorg.conf.new -- if it comes back as "vesa" then that's the fallback driver and you can't make use of anything higher than 1600x1200. If it comes back as something other than "vesa" like "nvidia", "ati", "radeon", or "intel", then there's a chance you can hit 1920x1080 but we're not done yet.

Last thing to do is to update xf86-video-* driver from the ports tree (pick the one most appropriate for your Desktop hardware).
--
Devin