Custom Widget Box Suggestions?

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:58:38 UTC 2013

I'd like to make a widget box that...
- Is an arbitrary x:y sized grid of choices
- Each choice has an arbitrary description
- Click on a choice executes an underlying shell action
- Is window manager agnostic (multiple are in use)
- Is display (DISPLAY=) agnostic (multiple are in use)
- Is manageable by the window manager (like xterm)
- Is already builtin or a simple package, no big frameworks/compiled
- Maybe auto resizing font when window is resized?

I see what comes with my WM for widgets, and wrote menu items
for some things. But want something generic, always on screen,
and perhaps even plain X11 tools. Ideas?