ports/156405: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati driver: no hardware rendering

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 00:33:45 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 2:22 AM, Niclas Zeising <zeising at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2013-08-30 08:22, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > From my previous post and Niclas Zeising's response:

> immediately, not just the console.  I finally managed to downgrade to the
> old Xorg after
> >> considerable difficulty.
> >
> >> What hardware do you have?  Are you sure that the system froze, and not
> >> only that the console went black?  Did you check any logs (dmesg, xorg
> >> log, etc.)  How do you load the kernel modules for the intel kms driver?
> >> In general, you shouldn't need to load anything at all, X loads the
> >> correct kernel module at the correct time during startup.
> >
> > I don't remember about the logs, and now is far too late.
> >
> > But I remember doing everything I did when I had this problem with
> NetBSD on old computer, native xorg server, not pkgsrc, and no KMS.
> >
> > Nothing I did with keyboard had any effect.  I tried to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and
> "shutdown -r now", nothing.
> >
> > I also tried the Caps Lock key to see if there was any life, did not
> light up.
> >
> > By the way, another problem I had with NetBSD was the text console
> screen blanking after 30 seconds inactivity and not coming back until I
> could find my way in the dark to a root command prompt and type
> >
> > screenblank -u
>
> This could be a NetBSD specific issue maybe?  As I said before, I had no
> trouble on my laptop running 'startx' from the black console, so I
> assume shutdown -r now works as long as I have a root shell.  I also
> could shut down cleanly with the power button, using acpi.  All this on
> FreeBSD.

I really suggest adding yourself to the operator account. That will allow
you to shutdown without a root login.

Entering Fn+F1 and "shutdown -r now" has no chance of working as X is still
running on vty0, so you have no shell to receive the command. You can try
entering a CTRL-C to kill X or logout of the X session instead of Fn+F1?
Maybe Fn+F2 and log in or log into that vty before starting X.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com