ports/156405: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati driver: no hardware rendering

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Wed Aug 28 20:45:10 UTC 2013

On 08/28/13 22:21, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I had this type of problem with NetBSD 5.1_STABLE and 5.99.x even with native X that is part of the base system, as opposed to pkgsrc X.
I can't comment on how NetBSD does things, since I haven't used it.

> I could return to a text console in the dark and type "shutdown -r now" or even type the command to go back into X, successfully.
In general, this can work.  It did last time I tested, but that was some
time ago so things might have changed.

> Can that be done with FreeBSD, new Xorg and KMS, or is the system just crashed?
The system is definitely not crashed once you go out of X, the only
thing that isn't working is the text console.

> With serial ports becoming obsolete, what can one use for or in place of a serial console?

FireWire.  I haven't tested myself, but have a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-dcons.html
for instructions on how to use FireWire as a console.

> Would it work to have two xorg.conf files, one with Intel driver and the other with vesa?  Then could you go back to a working console when using the vesa driver?
Once you've loaded the KMS awawre kernel module, there is no way to get
the console back short of a reboot of the system.

> I've wondered (call it X acrobatics) how to switch between root and nonroot, and between window managers, without going back to text console.
You could try some sort of desktop manager, such as gdm or kdm.  I've
not used them on FreeBSD, but on linux they make it possible to have
several users logged into X at once, and switching window manager, and
so on.  As for root, it is generally considered a bad idea to run X as
root.  If it's just a root terminal you need, you can always open an
xterm (or your favorite terminal emulator) and use su or sudo.
Regards!
--
Niclas Zeising