Problem with the most recent Intel driver

Niclas Zeising zeising at daemonic.se
Wed Aug 21 23:55:51 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-21 17:32, Evan Miller wrote:
> OS: PCBSD 9.1 RELEASE (latest)
> PC Hardware: Thinkpad X201t  /  201 tablet with i7 620LM
>    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X201_Tablet<http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X201_Tablet>
> Graphics Hardware: Intel HD Graphics Arrandale 2010 8086:0046 6
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Intel_HD_Graphics
>
> Symptoms:  black/blank screen:
>
> Setup gets to a point where it says
>
> Detecting X Setup
>
>    Then it quickly scrolls some script and then I get a blank screen and no
> matter how long I wait nothing happens (laptop stays on) from there on.
> VESA mode brings up install GUI, but dumps back to blank/black screen after
> it's done setting up X. I have attempted the installation with the external
> monitor. Same problem as before. On a random restart of the laptop I've
> made contact with X and  I've continued with a normal GUI install and after
> pressing finish allowed the restart to be faced back with the same problem
> -- X has left the building.
>
> Others are having similar problems.
>

> I was advised by PCBSD developers that this is an issue with the new Intel
> driver and asked me to report it you guys. They gave me the following
> information:
>
> Specific information about the intel driver:
>
> Versions:
>
>   Quote:
>   xf86-video-intel-2.21.9
> libdrm-2.4.46
>
>  The actual ports are:
>
>   Quote:
>   x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel
> graphics/libdrm
>
>  Both ports were compiled with the "WITH_NEW_XORG" flag set.

Hi!
I am not 100% sure that that GPU is supported by the kms driver yet...
Do you have any way to hook up a serial console to the machine to maybe
be able to grab some output.  From a first look at things it certainly
looks like something goes wrong when setting up the graphics stack.  As
others have pointed out, once the KMS kernel module is loaded, the
console is unusable, so that's why the screen remains black once X has
exited (for any reason).
Is it also possible to get a dmesg as well as a complete X log (usually
from /var/log/Xorg.0.log).
Regards!