Problem with the most recent Intel driver

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Wed Aug 21 15:37:08 UTC 2013

Hi!

I had to deal with this too, once, when I was doing a PC-BSD install on
a netbook with Intel graphics. I worked around it by hard-powering down
the machine after this part of the install, booting into single user
mode, and then somewhere in /var/ I believe is a dotfile (.something)
that either has info inside it or just the existence of the dotfile
determines which part of setup has been completed. Deleting this file
(or editing  -- can't remember) and rebooting continued to the next part
of setup.

Unfortunately there's not much that can be done to fix this until the VT
switching for the new DRI/KVM/Intel/whatever framework is finished. I
don't know if there is an ETA on this work, and it may not even show up
in FreeBSD 9.x. It would be nice if PC-BSD could detect you're using an
Intel driver and modify their install process slightly to eliminate the
need for a hack/workaround...