mac mini extremely hot when using i915kms

Brett brett.mahar at gmx.com
Fri Oct 26 12:22:44 UTC 2012

> >> This is 2.0G CPU, CPU speed is 100Mhz when CPU is idle and powerd is
> >> running.

Just a thought, but have you tried running at higher than 100Mhz when idle? I have a laptop that runs pretty hot and from experimenting with powerd the last few weeks, it runs hotter at 400Mhz than 800Mhz. I not sure why, maybe the fan runs a bit faster at 800Mhz. So I set debug.cpufreq.lowest=800 in sysctl.conf, and -m and -M of 800 in powerd_flags, and the laptop is happy. Maybe your Mac mini has a similar quirk.