Radeon HD 4350 - no DRI / only Software Rasterizer under FreeBSD 9.0?

Henry B. cryptix at riseup.net
Wed Nov 28 23:24:35 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm currently trying to setup Xorg to use DRI on my new (and first ever)
FreeBSD 9.0 installation, without success.

I followed the Handbook Chapter 6.4 and used Xorg -configure to get a
baseline configuration which detects my graphics card but when I try to
load it, I end up with a blank screen (no signal) and broken pipes on my
SSH sessions into the system. CTRL+ALT+F1 or any other key combo doesn't
do a thing and since i can't connect over SSH anymore I'm forced to do a
hard reboot.

I found two working ways of running Xorg, the first is using the VESA
driver and the second is using the radeon driver with DRI disabled and
setting AutoAddDevices to False. I also tried the radeonhd driver, i get
about 2 seconds of video before the system hangs in the same way as when
using radeon.

I discarded VESA because it couldn't even drive the full resolution to my
first screen.

The DRI disabled option is a problem for me because I'm used to a
dual-head setup with both of the screens rotated 90 degrees and then
joined together. (I use two 16:10 screens for this. Reading and editing
long files/websites is marvelous on this setup.)

[cryptix at oObsi ~]$ xrandr --output DVI-0 --rotate left
xrandr: Configure crtc 1 failed
[cryptix at oObsi ~]$ xrandr --output DVI-1 --rotate right
xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed
[cryptix at oObsi ~]$ xrandr --output DVI-1 --right-of DVI-0
xrandr: screen cannot be larger than 1680x1680 (desired size 3360x1050)

If the rotation works it would be 2100x1680 but that is still lager than
1680x1680.
It won't work without DRI, I guess.

I followed the steps in this[1] thread on the FreeBSD forum since it deals
with a similar card and the point was to get DRI working but it didn't
work out for me in the end. (Same dead/paniced system when i try to load
Xorg with DRI enabled.)

The first thing I succeed in was getting dmesg to tell me that DRM was
detected on my card.

[root at oObsi ~]# dmesg | grep drm
[root at oObsi ~]# kldload radeon
[root at oObsi ~]# dmesg | grep drm
drm0: <ATI Radeon HD 4350> on vgapci0
info: [drm] MSI enabled 1 message(s)
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.31.0 20080613

But that's about all i could use from the before mentioned thread.
WITHOUT_NOUVEAU has no effect anymore and my card is listed with vendor
and product ID in /usr/src/sys/dev/drm/drm_pciids.h.

I harvested this[2] Xorg.0.log from a run with DRI enabled over SSH using
tail -F /var/log/Xorg.0.log and copying out of my terminal by hand. (After
the reboot the file is empty because it wasn't cleanly closed, I guess).

Here is my current xorg.conf[3].

>From what i can see DRI initializes fine but sadly the log file doesn't
point to the specific problem because the box crashes before it prints
what the problem is.

I would be happy about any suggestion on what to try out next. Getting my
ports tree to a state when WITHOUT_NOUVEAU was required seems to be a
solution but i would like to have a verification of that before i continue
to tinker in darkness on this. I would also be willing to get a 1394 cable
and try to get a backtrace of the panic with dcons if it is of any help.
I would also be willing to try out older releases of FreeBSD if they are
more likely to work. It's just that the most recent stable release seemed
like the best option for a new installation.

Looks like I chose a bad time for my move from Linux to FreeBSD with the
KMS issues hanging in the air but I'm still eager to keep trying!

Thanks in advance,

cryptix

[1] Forum Thread - http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=27038
[2] Xorg.0.log   - http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=dhz800W7
[3] xorg.conf    - http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=80EJiCnw

p.s.: I also attached the log and config files to this mail but I wasn't
sure if the mailman chops them off.