PPC DRM graphics testing

matt sendtomatt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 21:41:44 UTC 2012

Side note on g5 quad with x1900...I would be *surprised* if anyone
anywhere has X working with this card (blobs and kms aside). Apparently
ATI reinvented the wheel on this particular rv580, and did not include
or obfuscated the atom bios PCI rom. As a result, the radeon driver
won't get past the initial detection. It seems as though the appropriate
hack for x1900 G5 is to either get a PC copy of the rom and patch the
radeon driver to eat that, or to figure out where the ROM is and how to
expose it. It's possible the atombios data is actually in the OS X
driver software, as the fans on this card spin full power until the
driver loads (or all the time in freebsd...)

So after that moment of frustration (and $20 temporarily wasted...) I
jammed a PC X600 in, hoping to get that working, with the Q6600
installed as well so I could see. X refuses to detect the x600, because
we're on a mac I think...pciconf shows the card, but the driver won't
attach. "No cards detected"

Datapoint: G5 Dual Core/Quad, X is pretty much out of the question with
a radeon card of any kind. Since nouveau is also broken (I think?) that
means no DRM testing on this platform until one or the other works. So I
think I'll keep focusing on the MDD for now...

Matt