r300-based boards... Are they now officially a lost cause?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Nov 5 01:06:54 UTC 2012

In message <20121105000213.GZ66994 at over-yonder.net>,
"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd at over-yonder.net> wrote:

>[0] One advantage of this is that, hey, writing a new GUI stack is
>    much easier, since you no longer need to write all the drivers
>    over again for every GUI stack.  You only need to write them once
>    for every OS.  And since "Open Source *nix" is really just a
>    long-winded way of saying Linux, that's no problem.  It's
>    portable; it runs on both Red Hat _and_ Ubuntu!

rofl

>    One implication is that the kernel "driver" isn't just a one-time
>    shim we write; a lot of the card-specific stuff is now in that.
>    So all the stuff that used to be written for each new GPU family
>    in xf86-video-ati etc by X.org in the UMS world, now needs to be
>    written for each new GPU family in the kernel by us (or ported
>    from the stuff written in the Linux kernel, more like).

So that begs my next question... Is anybody on the FreeBSD side working
as we speak to steal...er... I mean port whatever Linux is currently
using in the way of kernel drivers for ATI and/or Nvidia?

If not, then that would seem to be a problem, and that over time,
FreeBSD will be left sadly behind, particularly when it comes to
supporting new graphics chips as they are released in the future.