Strange keyboard/hald issues after upgrading to 9-STABLE and latest ports

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed May 16 08:41:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Tom Evans <tevans.uk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A curious situation. I upgraded my laptop over the weekend from
> 8-STABLE to 9-STABLE, and also upgraded/reinstalled all installed
> ports. As a result of this, I now have a variety of issues - I'll try
> and keep these all relevant to x11.
> The second issue is probably related to my graphics driver (nvidia).
> If I setup 'twinview', with these settings:
>
>    Option         "TwinView" "1"
>    Option         "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-3"
>    Option         "metamodes" "CRT: 1280x1024_60 +1280+0, DFP:
> 1280x800_60 +0+0"
>
> and then try to switch to a VT, the screen goes black and I cannot see
> anything or switch back. The laptop still responds to network, so I
> can ssh in and restart, but this is an awful pain. I've tried
> rebuilding the nvidia driver both with and without power management
> support, which has no effect.
>
> […]
>
> I fancy the
> nvidia driver for the VT switching issues, so I'm going to try
> downgrading that.

I fancied right, downgrading to nvidia-driver-285.05.09 from
nvidia-driver-295.49 solved the VT switching issues. I'll raise this
on the nvidia FreeBSD forum.

My only remaining problem is the keyboard not responding in X after
undocking from laptop dock, but as VT switching is working again, not
such a huge deal.

Cheers

Tom