Xorg 7.5.2 segfault when plugging/unplugging AC adapter

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Sun May 13 05:39:58 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Brandon Gooch
<jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 Apr 2012, Brandon Gooch wrote:
>>
>>> Also, X seems to freeze up until I move the mouse around a bit, like
>>> it's getting hung.
>>

>> See http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html .
>
> Of course Warren! Thanks so much!
>
> I was aware of your page, but had not had reason to read through it
> entirely. This is the particular snippet that that characterized what
> I was experiencing:
>
> "Other times, particularly if hald is running, typed characters don’t
> show up on the screen until the mouse is moved, and mouse movement
> itself is jerky and doesn’t react smoothly."
>
> I added:
>
> Option "AutoAddDevices" "Off"
>
> to my ServerLayout section, and that particular problem is solved.
>
> Unfortunately the segfault is still occurring when plugging/unplugging
> the AC adapter. I'll try to dig into this if I can.
>
> One more thing to add: I can't start up my GLX screensaver, but I'll
> start another thread about that:
>
> $ xlock -mode biof
> X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  137 (NV-GLX)
>  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 ()
>  Resource id in failed request:  0x2000006
>  Serial number of failed request:  190
>  Current serial number in output stream:  190

The problem with X.org segfault-ing boiled down to an issue with the X
Server calling vfscanf(3) in a funky way, which happened to be fixed
by r234836.

Also, the issue with NV-GLX has been fixed by some update (maybe the
new NVIDIA driver?), so that's cool.

I continue to battle with my trackpad, as after exiting X the new
synaptic driver doesn't seem to let go of /dev/psm0 -- I'll start a
new thread for that after further diagnosis.