What still requires HAL?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Jun 10 12:45:13 UTC 2012

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012, Martin Wilke wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 19:01:08 -0600 (MDT)
> Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>
>> Does Gnome still require HAL?  Does KDE?  xfce does not.  Are we
>> approaching a point at which the xorg-server port option for HAL can
>> be set to default to off?
>

> Xfce4 need hal as well, (thunar),

It used to, using hal for automounting removable media.  Support for
that was removed upstream in xfce a while back, 4.6 I think.  Maybe hal
can do something else for xfce, but I haven't noticed it since removing
hal a year ago.

> I prefer to let hald enabled as default. Reason is a lot pepole still
> need it.

Yes, unfortunately.  We can only ask porters to make hal optional when
the ported software supports that.