KMS Question

Peter Ulrich Kruppa ulrich at pukruppa.de
Mon Jul 2 12:50:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:

> On 07/02/12 02:58, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:59 AM, Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> have
>>> should

>>> the

>>> 11 June is just about the date that the updates were all merged into
>>> 9-Stable. I suggesting updating sources to at least 15 Jun (or, better
>>> still, today) and buidl that. No additional patches are needed. DO NOT
>>> SET "WITH_KMS"! KMS is ONLY for Intel CPU/GPU processors. You can give
>>> it a try WITH_NEW_XORG, though. If you don't have KMS, you will not
>>> have i915-kms.ko, so don't worry. (Maybe someone will volunteer to
>> write an AMD/ATi KMS driver some day, but no one has to date.)
>>> You might try an initial startx with no Xorg.conf file. It usually
>>> works. You probably won't have a need for acpi_call, either, and it is
>>> from the acpi_call port and not part of the base system. It lets you
>>> poke at ACPI paramters.
O.K. - so first I try to rebuild base. I have already got
WITH_NEW_XORG in my /etc/make.conf . Support for AMD/ATI can't be
worse than it was with xorg-7.5 . For now I would be happy to get
some kind of gui back - even with VESA driver.

Thanks for your help so far - I will report what happens.

Greetings

Peter.